Beauty has always been a talking point, right from the time of Cleopatra. Beauty and cosmetic products have been in the market since a very long time, for instance, cold creams, moisturizers and soaps were in vogue even years ago as is evident from their advertisements from decades ago which are still imprinted on people’s minds even today and are now part of precious advertising paraphernalia.
With the changing times, products too have changed and diversified. For instance, the otherwise humble soap, is now available in a variety of fragrances, types, shapes and sizes such as lavender soaps, charcoal soaps, haldi chandan soaps, essential oil soaps, goat milk and honey soap, orange scrub soap and many more. Additionally, the soaps are no longer available in only two or three shapes but can now be purchased in a variety of shapes and the most vital change is that now soaps are handmade and organic and are easily available too. The demand for such a variety of products and soaps is constantly on the rise, especially because soaps are cosmetic products that are needed on a daily basis. This is the reason why many entrepreneurs are starting or planning to start a soap making business.
However, some entrepreneurs are sceptical about starting a business in this field, but the advantages of a soap making business will change their minds too. The advantages of the business include-
- The business requires minimal investment to start making the soaps.
- The ingredients and supplies required to make the soaps are easy to obtain.
- The business requires bare minimum equipment, which also easy to procure and does not cost much.
- The technique and process of making soap is easy to understand and learn.
- There is already a demand for handmade soaps, thus a ready customer base for the products.
- There is scope for customisation while making soaps, therefore helping entrepreneurs create their own unique soaps that are different from what is available in the market and entrepreneurs can thus specialise in their niche market.
- It is easy to sell soaps at various places, thus making the marketing process easy.
However, there are some essentials that those starting a soap making business need to consider, and the most important step is to draw a business plan for the soap making enterprise.
Soap Making Business Plan
The most important aspect of every business is to have a roadmap for the business planned out, which can guide the entrepreneurs, and this map is termed as a business plan.
What Is A Business Plan
A business plan is a written description of the business’s future. It is a document that describes what the entrepreneur plans to do and how to do it. The business plan outlines the goals and details of the business along with the details of achieving those goals.
Need For A Business Plan
A business plan is necessary for every business, including the soap making business, because it checks the feasibility of the business idea and whether the idea should be taken forward. Also, the business plan ensures that entrepreneurs pay attention to the operational as well as the financial objectives of the new business along with checking the details, such as budgeting and market planning, therefore ensuring that the business gets the best possibility of succeeding. Making a business plan will make for a smoother startup period and fewer unforeseen problems for the business. Additionally, for established businesses or those that are already in operation, a business plan helps to review and revive the original goals of the business and reviewing the plan can help analyze what goals have been accomplished, what changes need to be made, or what new directions the business should take for it to grow further.
Advantage Of Business Plan
A business plan, apart from guiding the business owners and showing the way to achieve the business goals, has several other benefits. The business plan helps in procuring funding from banks and NBFCs (non-banking financial institutions) in order to start and run the business. Additionally, a well-written business plan can impress possible investors to invest in the business.
Guidance For Business Planning
Business planning helps to set up a structured business and saves time and resources in the long run. However, often entrepreneurs can concentrate on only one aspect of the business, especially in the soap making business, they can only focus on the production of soaps. They feel overwhelmed with the thought of managing all aspects of the business and often even lack the skills needed to write a business plan. They need a structured approach towards making the plan along with actionable suggestions, all of which can be provided by business planning services since they have the expertise and knowledge in the domain.
Inclusions In The Business Plan
The business plan must include an executive summary of the business, a detailed description of the business, competitive and market analysis of other similar businesses, details regarding the management and operations of the business, financial requirements and procurement along with marketing and sales strategy and plans.
Aspects Of Soap Making Business
The soap making business does not only pertain to the making of soaps but involves other aspects of the business as well, such as the marketing and advertising of the business along with management and operational facets of the business. These can mainly be divided into two categories- Production and Management, both of which must be included in the business plan as they are the vital components of the business.
- Often production in this business is thought to be limited to the process of making soap. However, in order to make soaps, especially in a significant quantity for the business, the entrepreneurs need to take into account the requirements of the business, such as the equipment and materials, and mention it in the business plan.
- Requirements and equipment for the soap making business include material such as essential oils, lye, fragrances, milk or water or cream, and special ingredients like charcoal, rose petals, haldi chandan, Aloe vera, mint, and many more depending on the type and fragrance of the soap. The equipment required for the business is very basic and includes stainless steel pots, boilers, ladles, spatulas, mixing bowls, soap moulds and other miscellaneous items.
- The production can be carried out from the entrepreneur’s home or from a small space too, with no special requirements for a specific area or square feet. However, where the business will be based and the rent or capital investment for the production unit must be mentioned in the business plan, as it is an essential element of the business.
- One of the most important aspects of the business, which is often sidelined, but is vital for the business, is the marketing of the products and the business. Entrepreneurs need to spend about 30 to 40 percent of their time and effort in the production process and the remaining must be dedicated to the marketing of the business. Marketing is not restricted to the selling of the products but also involves the process of making the soaps ready for the market. This includes packaging of the soaps, pricing of the soaps and also making the soaps available at various outlets. The packaging must be attractive to grab the attention of customers. The pricing must be competitive but in order to keep up with the competition, the products must not be sold at lower rates. Instead, the quality of the soaps must be maintained, as customers are ready to pay the price for higher quality products.
- The soaps can be sold in farmers’ markets, retail stores, special lifestyle stores and via online websites too. The probable methods of marketing the products must be elaborated on in the business plan. Marketing also includes advertising of the business and the strategies planned for the same. The use of digital media and social media platforms can be used for advertising the business and to reach out to a wider audience. These plans too must be included in the business plan.
Thus, production and marketing plans must be elaborated upon in the business plan as they are essential elements of the business.
Additionally, financial strategies are another important aspect of the business which must also be included in the business plan. Capital requirement is an indispensable component of the business, as funding is required for starting the business, right from buying the materials and equipment to the space needed for the business, to the packaging and advertising techniques applied for the business. The business plan must include details regarding what the exact capital requirements of the business are and how they will be fulfilled (via loans or investors). Additionally, the business plan is shown while applying for a loan for the business, so the details of the business’s financial needs and future plans must be included in the business plan.
Considering the importance of business plans, in case of any assistance with drawing up a business plan, entrepreneurs can seek the guidance of deAsra to make a great business plan for their soap making business.